10 Tips for Improving Personal Safety at Home
Enhancing security in your home is the first step in preventing crime. Here are 10 tips from Mrs. Stun Gun.com that will help to increase the level of personal protection in your home.
1. Install metal bars across all basement windows. It is a good deterrent to thieves. Just make sure they are installed either through the glass panes or on the inside of the house. Exterior installation makes it easy to remove.
2. Have a secure front door. All front doors should open inwards so the hinges are not visible to the outside. it should be 1.5" thick and a solid core. Keep doors locked even when your home.
3. Install proper locks. Install a deadbolt lock on all exterior doors. Deadbolts should be at least one inch thick and one inch long.
4. Build a safe room. If you are attacked in your home, you may be able to run to the safe room and lock the attacker out while you call for help. This room is a good place to keep your cell phone battery charger. This way the phone is there if you ever need to use it.
5. Purchase motion sensitive exterior lights. Install them near entrances and other vulnerable areas surrounding your residence.
6. Keep your home up. Your home should have the lived in look even while your away. The lawn should always be mowed and snow should be shoveled while you're on vacation.
7. Get to know your neighbors. They can be your greatest asset if they know when you're gone. It's like an extra set of caring eyes.
8. Get a dog. Even a small dog can be a deterrent. It's much easier for the burglar to go to the neighbors house without a dog than to have to deal with yours.
9. Answer your door. If a stranger comes to your door, don't pretend you're not home. Answer it behind the door while keeping it locked and talks through the door or window. If you do decide to open your door, have a charged stun gun in your hand just in case.
10. Have a proper phone message. Never leave your personal name on the message and that "you are not home". Simply say you are not available to take the call. if you are a woman living by yourself, have a male friend create the message for added security.
By following these 10 tips, you will make your home more secure. And that's what home is all about. Feeling secure, protected and loved.